Friday, October 12, 2012

Foodie Friday:Go Go Gadget Edition

Happy Friday readers! I'm writing from my desk at work where we have approximately 14 orders for 7 processors so... yeah. Blog time, woop!

Tomorrow is the big day! Our boy Regi comes home from Ocala and I couldn't be more thrilled. My husband has gone crazy buying the little stinker every toy a puppy could need, and I've been reading up on training and how to be the best pet owner ever.  I've also book marked so many recipes for homemade puppy treats! I can't wait to spoil our little man rotten.

Okay, okay, enough about the pup already! You're here for the food!

Today I want to talk about my 3 favorite gadgets/tools in the kitchen. These items really motivate me to WANT to cook, instead of just getting through it.

1. Misto Gourmet Olive Oil Sprayer, $9.98

Photo courtesy of Amazon.com


The Misto is an oil spritzer. Instead of using those PAM sprays that are full of propane and who knows what else, you fill the reservoir of the Misto with your favorite oil (olive for me!), pump the lid a few times, and viola! Homemade non-stick spray with natural ingredients. The design is unobtrusive enough to sit out on the counter without looking gaudy. I use my Misto on the grill, sautee pan, when baking, and even to top my salads.

2. OXO Good Grips Julienne Peeler, $9.99

Photo courtesy of Amazon.com


I always assumed people made those gorgeous squash pastas and matchstick veggies using careful knife techniques, or a mandolin slicer that costs $2727437247. I was wrong though; all I needed was a sweet julienne peeler. My best friend Katie got me one as part of my birthday gift this year, and boy am I ever grateful. The very first thing I made with my julienne peeler was fresh zucchini pasta. This is a tool that takes some practice though! You have to have patience and slice the peeler slowly over the surface you're cutting, while also assuming a firm grip. You also have to be very aware of hand placement, or you'll surely loose some skin! The time and practice pay off though the first time you have a beautiful bowl of thin carrots for coleslaw or to top salads.

3. KitchenAid Stand Mixer, $258.99

Photo courtesy of Amazon.com

Hands down, the BEST kitchen gadget I have or will ever have. The stand mixer does it all- mixes, kneads, mashes, separates  and so much more. There are literally 50 attachments you can add to this mixer to make it even more kick-ass such as an ice cream maker, slice and dice, or pasta maker. I received this mixer from my parents the year I got into baking (had to do something instead of homework, right?) and it's been my  BFF ever since. Initially my mixer was just for making mashed potatoes, and mixing cake batter, but recently I've learned it can do so much more. It will knead dough, it will separate cream into butter, or whipped cream. Yes, it's a lot of money. However, it's an investment. With proper care, you'll never have to replace it, and it will literally last 30 years or longer. I highly recommend making the investment!


Well kids, that's all I've got. Three amazing kitchen gadgets that make my life in the kitchen a little easier, and more fun. I hope you all have a fantastic week, and stay tuned for Sunday's post!




No comments:

Post a Comment